Igbo & English Names of 100 Selected Animals
Igbo & English Names of 100 Selected Animals: Check out and learn the Igbo Names of the following selected 100 animals with their corresponding English names.
In a bid to join hands in promoting the Igbo Language, we (TrendsOfLegends Media Team) have compiled and published below both Igbo names of 100 selected animals with their corresponding names in English.
We also urge every well-meaning Igbo person to join hands in sustaining the Language by sharing this article to reach more and more persons.
No doubt there are lots of Igbo people who speak Igbo fluently yet they do not know the Igbo names of some animals but only know their English names. But today we have made the work easier by compiling them for you.
Below are Names of Animals in English and Igbo
Animal translated to Igbo means “Anụmanụ”
1) Goat = Ewu (Male = Mkpi, Female = Nne Ewu).
2) Fowl = Ọkụkọ (Male = Oke Ọkpa, Female = Nnekwu).
3) Guinea Fowl = Ọgazị.
4) Chick = Nwa Ọkụkọ.
5) Turkey = Tolotolo/Torotoro.
6) Duck = Obogwuma/Obagwu.
7) Pigeon = Nduru.
8.) Ostrich = Enyi Nnunu.
9) Antelope = Mgbada.
10) Deer = Ene.
11) Cow = Efi.
12) Horse = Ịnyịnya.
13) Rat = Oke.
14) Guinea Pig = Ezi Bekee.
15) Squirrel = Ọsa.
16) Dog = Nkita.
17) Hyena = Edi Abali/Edi Abani.
18) Cat = Nwologbo/Buusu/Nwamba.
19) Sheep = Atulu.
20) Ram = Ebune/Ebule.
21) Pig = Ezi.
22) Lion = Agu.
23) Tiger = Odum.
24) Elephant = Enyi.
25) Monkey = Enwe.
26) Chimpanzee = Adaka.
27) Gorilla = Ọzọdimgba. (Ọzọ, the king of wrestling)
28) Snail = Eju/Ejune/Ejula.
29) Snake = Agwo.
30) Python = Eke.
31) Lizard = Ngwele/Ngwere.
32) Wall Gecko = Agu uno.
33) Crocodile = Aguiyi.
34) Toad = Awo.
35) Frog = Mbala/Mbara/Nte/Akiri.
36) Tortoise = Mbe/Nabe
37) Vulture = Udene/Udele.
38) Eagle = Ugo.
39) White Ant = Aruru ocha.
40) Black Ant = Agbisi.
41) Mosquito = Anwu Nta.
42) Grasshopper = Ukpana.
43) Kite = Nkwo.
44) Spider = Udude.
45) Praying Mantis = Okongono.
46) Earth Worm = Idide.
47) Worm = Okpoo.
48) Scorpion = Akpi.
49) Butterfly = Ilokolo Ibuba or Tatambeleke.
50) Cockroach = Uchicha.
51) House Fly = Ijiji.
52) Cricket = Mbuzu/Mgbaja or Akika.
53) Bed Bug = Chinchi/Ogii.
54) Bee = Añu.
55) Crab = Nchiko/Nshiko.
56) Bat = Usu.
57) Millipede = Esu.
58) Centipede = Ogbakuluu.
59) Rabbit = Oke Bekee.
60) Grasscutter = Nchi.
61) Owl = Ikwikwi/Iyi Ochi.
62) Wood Pecker = Oturu Kpokpo
63) Chameleon = Ugwumagana.
64) Fox = Nyanwuruede.
65) Fish = Azu
66) African civet = Edi Ura (a nocturnal animal known to sleep all day during the day. Used to refer to anyone who sleeps a lot)
67) Wasp = Ebu (Isi kote ebu, O gbakasia nya aru wink)
68) Taylor Ant = Akpolide (Usually found on mango trees)
69) Porcupine = Ebi Ogwu
70) Shrew = Nkakwu/Nkapi (Mole-like rat that is known for its pungent smell.)
71) Eneke Nti Oba = Swallow (A type of bird that hardly perches on trees when in season to avoid being gunned down by human hunters)
72) Hawk = Egbe’.
73) Beetle = Mbuzu/Ebe
74) Periwinkle = Isam
75) Bush Fowl/Goose = Okwa.
76) Stork = Okpoko
77) Boa Constrictor = Eke Ogba
78) Camel = Inyinya Ibu
79) Hippopotamus = Utobo/Akum
80) Iguana = Ngwele aghu
81) Tilapia = Azu asa
82) Eel = Ebi Iyi
83) Crayfish = Isha
84) Turtle = Mbe mmili
85) Eaglet = Chekeleke
86) Donkey = Jaki
87) Dragon Fly = Tatambeleke
88) Maggot = Ikpuru
89) Buffalo = Atu
90) Wolf = Agu Owulu
91) Sparrow = Nza
92) Parrot = Icheoku
93) Viper = Ajuani/Ajuala
94) Locusts = Igwulube
95) Galago/Bush baby = Ikili/Ikiri
96) Hog = Ezi Ofia
97) Bird = Nnụnụ (Generic name)
98) Gaboon Viper = Echi Eteka
99) Weaver bird = Egule
100) Cod fish = Okpoloko
Please endeavour to teach your kids and spouse the following names of animals in Igbo Language (Asusu Igbo). Don’t forget to make corrections if you spot any mistake, let’s learn together as we join hands to make Igbo not to die.
CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING INTERESTING UPDATES:
- THIS IS AWESOME: (Video) Watch How A Father Made His Baby To Say "I Love You" For The First Time
- RECOMMENDED FOR YOU: "The Joy Of Being A Male" Written By Chinonso Emmanuel Asiegbu
- DON'T MISS THIS: Here Are Five (5) Statements To Strengthen Your Mind & Spirit
- READ ALSO: (Watch Video) New Format/Scope From Girls (Everyday For The Thief, One Day For The Owner)
- A MUST READ: What Do You Regret Most After Separating With A Partner? – The Inspirational Parrot Speaks
- HAVE YOU READ THIS: Trending Videos: A Young Nigerian Graduate Shares How & Why He Lost A Job During An Interview
- ALSO CHECK OUT THIS: "Depression Is Very Real" Nigerian Musician Banky W Reveals In A Video
- WATCH THIS NOW: (Video) Banky W Shares How He Succeeded In The Music Industry
- THIS IS TOUCHING: (Video) She Was Told She Would Die, See What Happened After
- SEE THIS NOW: Which Of These Statements Make Ladies Happy Or Angry?
- SURE YOU DON'T KNOW THIS: Is Ekene Alake Obayi The First Herds-Woman In The World? (Video)
- THIS IS FOR YOU: How To Make Money Online & Ways To Earn Money Through The Internet
- YOU NEED THIS: (Video) What You Need To Know About A Confused Mind - Jim Kwik
- SHOCKING STORY: "How I Became A Lesbian"; Alice Tells Her Story
- DO YOU KNOW THIS?: Healthy Eating Habits For A Healthy Family
- REVEALED: True Or False? Two Things That Might Come Into A Lady's Mind Before Visiting A Guy For The First Time
- WOW!!! Trending Story: Lady Shares How She Met Her Husband Through Facebook (Just Relax & Have Fun As You Read)
- WHATSAPP UPDATE: Tech News: See 5 New Features The Latest WhatsApp Version Has
- (Watch Video) How God Used Lord Zeus To Bless A Young Onitsha-Based Sachet Water Hawker Who Was Once A Chemist
- HEALTH NEWS: (Video) How Modern Technology/Technique Is Now Used To Circumcise Male Babies In Place of Crude Method
- REVEALED!!! Fifty (50) Great Qualities That Can Help You To Achieve Success In Greater Quantities
- CRYPTO NEWS: 10 Reasons AFriGold Mining Platform Might Be Fake And Scam
- Sports News: List of Football Clubs That Have Qualified For Next Season’s UEFA Champions League
- LESSONS: Who Is A Great Leader? Find Out From Eleanor Rosalynn Carter’s Definition